CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Who broke the plane?

We'll I am in Utah for 15 days while Ryan is doing his ICU rotation. Last time he did this rotation we never saw him so we decided to get out of town. We were flying out last Thursday night at 9:30, direct flight from Detroit to Las Vegas. The day was going great. The girls had great naps, ate a good dinner, I got my house clean, and we were all mentally prepared for the four hour plane ride. At the airport things were going to perfect! About 10 minutes before we got on the plane my kids were falling asleep. I had help getting on and things had never looked so good before a flight. While the last passengers were getting on the plane we felt a big bump like something big had hit the plane. I looked around and no one seem concerned so I didn't think much about it, plus all my focus was on keeping my kids quiet. The flight attendants shut all the overhead bins and turned the lights out and I thought we were ready to roll. Then the pilot came on the intercom and said, the plane had been hit by a vehicle on the ground and it damaged the landing gear. He said they were going to see if they could fix it, which totally freaked me out! I was on the verge of a panic attack! The fight was already 4 1/2 hours and I had no idea how long they were going to make us sit there while they fixed it. After an hour of not knowing they got back on the intercom and said the flight had been canceled so we were going to deplane in a few minutes. I called Ryan and he had just pulled into our drive way. He back out and headed 1 hour back to the airport. It was another 30 minutes before they started letting people off the plane. I had checked my stroller at the gate so I had to wait 15 minutes while they brought it up. One good thing is while we were waiting Joni got to sit in the Pilots seat and get her picture taken. She was so sad the plane was broken and wanted a name of who broke it. So, the fight attendant finally told her that his name was Bob. She kept telling EVERYONE that Bob broke the plane. As we finally came walking out of the walkway all the passengers were standing in a line trying to rebook with one lady. Everybody looked at us like they felt really bad for us and Joni said, "Who broke the plane?" Everyone started to laugh. You know like when the Bishop says something pretty funny but everyone laughs like it is the funniest thing they've ever head, that is the laugh Joni got.
The soonest I could get a fight out was Saturday morning at 7:00 but I was not sure if I could do that again. It was so stressful and scary! We rested all day Friday, the house got messy again, and I finally decided I could do it again. So hear we are! Christy, my sister, got her kids out of school and came to Vegas with my mom to pick me up from the airport on Thursday. They had to get a room at the Excalibur (Cinderella's Castle) so she could pick us up at midnight and ended up having to stay until Saturday. At least they had fun in Las Vegas!

13 comments:

Chellie said...

I always have plane fright and that would have totally freaked me out!! Joni is so cute-- I'm sure everyone got a kick out of her.

So glad you made it safely. I'm sure you will have a blast!

Julie Barb said...

Oh man, what a bummer!! Good thing it all worked out...have fun out there!

Julie Barb

Jean Smith said...

"and she wanted a name of who broke it." that is my favorite part! that is TOTALLY joni...glad to see that she is taking care of things.

ryan told us about your horrid airplane experience...man, girl...you don't have the luck with airplanes...you should consider traveling by some other transport next time...hee hee!

hope you have fun in utah...talk to you soon!

Heather said...

Of course that would happen when you're all alone. We'll have to share travel stories when you get back...I've got a few too. Good luck coming home!

Mandy and Kalen said...

it was so funny when I came to see you at your mom's house and Joni was on the phone (I think talking to her Daddy) and she said, "...and Bob broke the plane!" That is so cute!

It was fun to see you and your sweet little girls! They are so adorable!

Tauna said...

Jenny... I had no clue that you had such a traumatic experience getting here! that is quite the story. "who broke the plane?" is my favorite part.
That was way fun at your sisters shower. way fun! You guys are so great. I wish we could all get together more often. I honestly just love john's whole family. I feel so blessed!

MiandMiksmom said...

I would have demanded to know who broke the plane too...that darn Bob!!! Love the story! Glad you made it safely!

Carrie said...

I'm with Jean. I don't think you should fly anymore. You're plane stories are my nightmares! Glad you're okay, but we miss you here!

robin said...

Such a bummer but makes for a great story!
-k- if I read this right you flew in to VEGAS!!! Do you know that I live like 12 min from the airport. Can't believe you guys didn't give me a call. I'm a little hurt. But don't worry I heal quickly.

Brittany said...

wow! i love reading your stories. they're hilarious. although i'm sure you weren't so thrilled that you had to get a new flight. glad you made it there safely though. we miss you!

Laurel said...

Oh the sadness. Oh the fact that you're a better woman than I am... You have the BEST attitude!

Nan said...

All those little Bulkley girls are so cute! Glad you made it here so we could party. Joni is a doll. I'm sure all the passengers were so glad to have something to laugh at during such a stressful time.

It was great seeing you!

robin said...

I'll be here on the 15th and would love to see you. Give me a call if you need a lift or a place to stay or if you just need to kill some time. Seriously nobody ever visits me.